Wednesday, September 19, 2007

One of those moments

So I was at work on Monday and I had one of those moments. Those moments where you stop what you're doing and really realize how lucky and incredibly grateful you are for the blessings you have in your life. These past two weeks have been so hard mentally and emotionally at work. I have now been working the pediatric ICU for about a year and half and thought I had seen just about every devastating and emotionally heartbreaking tragedy that I could see in a lifetime but I was wrong. Without getting into too much detail these past few cases have literally broken my heart. From seriously the worst child abuse case I have ever seen on an innocent 8 year old little girl and from who of all people but her very own mother. A mother. A case so bad that depending on how much longer this little being lives she will spend her days in a coma never to run and play again. We had a 2 1/2 year old choke on a hot dog that they had to take off life support at the beginning of the last week. A 16 year old male that dove into a swimming pool hit his head on a rock that nobody witnessed and drowned. A horrible shaken baby case again done by the very own mother. Finally on Tuesday to top everything off a 14-year old honor student that went swimming at lake Havasu with his family and caught a strange parasite from the water. Two days after coming into to the hospital complaining of headaches we removed him from life support Monday afternoon after he'd been diagnosed brain dead. Not to damper any one's mood but this one really got to me. The family was not religious and didn't seek any counsel so you can imagine how devastating this news was to them. I can't think of anything worse than losing a loved one and not having any knowledge or belief in anything beyond this life. Again this was one of those moments that I came home and hugged my husband and held Landon a little longer before bedtime. A moment where I realized there's nothing more important than family. I love mine and I'm so grateful for the eternal perspective I have to know families are forever. Sorry I know this post is a little depressing but this has been on my mind the past few weeks!

Here's a fun little picture Scott just took on our apple computer camera. Kind of cute!!

10 comments:

Libby said...

I am speachless. That is heartbreaking. I have tears and chills. We are so blessed to know we will be with our families forever! We are also blessed to have good loving families...with adorably cute babies :)!

Lindsay said...

I really understand what you are saying. We are so blessed to know that there is more to this life than what we see right now. I am sorry you have to see these things. . . Landon is so lucky to have a good mom like you! We love you guys!

Brittney G. said...

Thanks for sharing Amber. I just cried as I read that but am so grateful to have things in the right perspective. You are a great mom and wife.

Jamie said...

First of all, what an adorable picture! Your two "men"....how cute are they? Secondly, I totally understand that whole scene! I've seen way too much of that for a lifetime! But, we are truly blessed to have the knowledge that we have, otherwise I don't know how we'd get through the things we have to face in this life! I don't think I could do your job, that's for sure!

Miller Family said...

man, rough week. crazy how many ways people can die. i don't know if i could work in pediatrics b/c i am pretty sure i would seriously hurt the child abusers.

Baldwin Fam said...

huh...it's crazy sometimes when you get outside the bubble that we live in to see what other people's lives are like. So sorry for your heartache, you gave me some tears too. It's take a very strong person to continue day after day seeing hard situations like that. Thank goodness for the gospel.

Vegas Sage said...

Ambie, I have been there as well when I was younger. And you never forget. You have good insight and its very sweet. To have witnessed what you have in your young life is nothing short of a strong , courageous and very loving person...they need you and you rise to the occasion....I LOVE the pix of the "boys" and APPLE....goodie goodie, now we have more in common...love you guys....Ninny

melissabergquist said...

Amber this is so random I don't think I have seen you since High school but I just had to say hello. I found you blog through Ashley "Glassman" Swapp's blog. Your Landon is adorable, I have a little Landon too who was born on Feb 21st. I love him so much he is so fun. I read a little of your blog and when you talk about him it seems like you are talking about my Landon, its kinda weird. My Landon is so tiny and wont gain any weight either, it stresses me out and drives me crazy. He was 6 weeks premature so I don't think he will ever get big :) Well I just wanted to say hello. Congrats on the new baby, I can't wait to have another one. We got pregnant with Landon right away, honeymoon baby to be exact but this time around we aren't as fortunate. Hopefully soon, your family is darling. Take Care, MELISSA "LEE" BERGQUIST

PS. What hospital do you work at?

OuR LiTtLe FaM said...

Hey Amber! I have been meaning to leave you a comment on your ADORABLE blog! I just love it! Carly gave me your web address and it was so fun getting to see pictures of your family and to see how you are all doing! Congrats on the new baby... so exciting! I love your pictures on here. Well I hope things are going great for you!! Keep the blogs coming! :)

Ashley Gaskell said...

Hi Amber!! this is ashley gaskell(used to be slater).i found your blog on carly's and i thought i would say hi! you have got to be one strong person to work in a place where to have to witness all those tragedies. it really is such a blessing to know that families are forever! anyways...how are you? congrats on the new pregnancy! your little boy is adorable! yes, it is possible to love your second just as much as your first...it is amazing how much you can love someone! well, your family is beautiful and you look great! good luck with everything!!

Things Landon loves

  • Rocky
  • running not walking
  • vienna sausages
  • head butting
  • tooth brushes