Thursday, June 7, 2007

Bored



I don't know what my problem is but lately I've been really bored. Is that normal? Don't get me wrong I love love love being a mother and Landon is loads of fun, but I think part of the reason I needed a vacation so bad is I felt so bored. I almost felt like my life was becoming so much of a routine the same things every day. I wake up the same time, feed Landon, dress him, clean the house, lay Landon down for a nap, attempt to shower, then feed Landon lunch, attempt to clean the already messy house, and etc. You get the picture. Well anyways, I think my problem was I wasn't doing anything. Landon had been sick for so many days and I was finding myself going a little Jack Nickelson, from the shining, you know getting a bit of cabin fever. I wasn't hanging out with my friends, or meeting for our little play group, or meeting my mom for lunch-- I was basically staying at home with Landon doing nothing. I even contemplated going back to work a couple more days a week just to past the time. I didn't know what to do and I was becoming really frustrated. I love being a stay at home mom but it has been a huge adjustment this past year staying home when I was used to working full time. Now here I am working harder than I have ever in my life and I was complaining I was bored. Anyways, the point of this long rambling and complaining is that I needed to do something more with my free time. Scott suggested I take up a hobby. He seems more than content spending any extra time on the Internet or playing with his hand held psp but I needed something to do. Since I'm definitely not a scrapper, or anything else for that matter I decided to bust out the fabric I've had for 6 months and quilt. My problem is though that once I start something I become so O.C.D. that I can't do anything else, or as my brother would call it anal. So basically in 4 days I made 2 quilts. It actually felt good to start and finish something but now I'm done. Any more suggestions? I've spent alot of time today blogging so I guess that counts as a hobby too. Well I hope no one reads this and gets the wrong impression of me. My point is that I just needed to being doing something other than staying at home cleaning. So lately, I've been taking Landon to the park and swimming. I guess being a stay at home doesn't mean you have to stay home all the time--duh!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Miller Family said...

you sound exactly like me, everything about that was like, "oh yeah, that is just how I feel." and I totally get the ocd quilt thing. I am so excited you finally decided to share . . . you sneaky, sneaky girl!

Brooke said...

Yeah! I am so exctited to read your blog! I LOVE the quilts. Who knew you were a quilter. I love the fabric! P.S. Does Melanie know what she is having yet? Love-- Brooke

Brittney G. said...

Love it! I'm sure I will feel like you when I start staying home. Being at home is not a bad thing like you said, just different than what you are used to. The quilts are amazing, where did you get the blue fabric?

kristenlucy said...

first of all, are you kidding me with those quilts? they are the cutest things i've ever seen. doesn't it feel good to finish a project? second, i feel the exact same way. being a stay at home mom was pretty much my "goal" in life and now that it's here...well let's just say it's much harder than i ever expected. you're not a bad mom to feel that way...i'm realizing more and more that these are pretty common feelings. third, have you seen the first seasons of one tree hill...they're awesome. and by awesome i mean still the worst show in the history of tv, but for some reason very addicting. if you love dan he's all over this season.

Baldwin Fam said...

So are you a closet quilter that I didn't know about, or are you just especially adept at picking things up? Those are super cute quilts! And no, you're not a bad mom, but obviously a very crafty one. :)

candice said...

no way! 2 quilts in 4 days??!! i just can't even wrap my mind around that. i've been doing the SAME quilt for about a year now. i keep buying new fabric and new patterns for my "next" quilt...but i never get to the next one. you HAVE to tell me the secret of how this is possible????

chelsie said...

thanks for sharing! those quilts are awesome. totally normal motherly feelings. although now with 3 i wish i could find time to be bored!!!

Jamie said...

Yeah, I have a GREAT suggestion! How about making one of those AMAZING quilts for your amazing cousin who isn't near that talented in that department! Those are awesome!!!! I totally hear ya on the bored thing! I think (or at least would like to think) I'm not the only one having those feelings at times. It can get monotanous doing the same things in and out day after day. I just have to try and find things to keep me occupied or "busy" at home, and then I try to get out as much as I can too, it breaks up the day for me a TON and the girls love going places they can play! Just imagine what it feels like for those of us who don't even get that one or two day a week break that you DO get! Hee Hee LOVE the Jack Nicholson reference...........LOVE that movie!

courtni said...

AMBULAR!! these are ridiculously amazing. Can I order one of the top ones?!! Exactly as you have it?! it's adorable. You seem to have hit a little talent there. If you ever hit a boiling point in your cute little house, drive down. ANYTIME!! xo

Jamie said...

I have the PERFECT place for your gorgeous quilts......check out www.projectlinus.org.
They would LOVE your quilts!

Things Landon loves

  • Rocky
  • running not walking
  • vienna sausages
  • head butting
  • tooth brushes